Choosing pictures of crowds proved more difficult than I expected, I thought there would be loads in the newspapers and weekend suppliments but there wasn't. However, I did manage to put these together without having to go onto the internet.
Top left is from my daughters university magazine which shows a picture taken in what looks like the 1950's. She thinks it represents taking the chancellor to the university on the first day of the new year. They don't look too happy about it. Top right shows what happens to the crowd in the background when the focus is on the foreground. All the faces in the crowd become a series of dots. Bottom left is a bit small but shows photographers at an award ceremony all facing right trying to get a shot of the new entrant on the catwalk. The centre shows ice skaters on Central Park and looks so much like a Lowery I just had to put it in. Bottom right is a street scene and I have forgotten where it is but it is evening and people are obviously out to enjoy themselves.
I then went looking for shapes that I could use as stencils and stamps.
I found these on the internet. They are clear and sharp and easy to trace.
I enlarged some of them using Paint Shop Pro and then cut them out.
This gave me paper shapes that I could use to make arrangements on my paper.
I made a set of stamps then made a second set keeping the cut outs for stencils.
Drawing round the shapes with different coloured was crayons.
This paper was quite dark so I drew the outline in white pencil crayon. I wondered what they would be like shaded in so I took a photocopy and using the white crayon I did various shading techniques for each figure.
I then tried my stencils. I liked this one, it reminded me of people on the street at night in front of a lit shop window.
Here, I have made the figures two colours and then mixed the solid shapes with the outline ones.
These are collaged. The light ones are glittery paper and the dark ones are printed tissue paper which I did on a course a couple of years ago.
I drew round all these figures with a gold pen first but they didn't stand out until the light caught the gold so I then edged them in black felt tip which gave the gold a lift. I then cut out thee of the figures in painted paper and made them slightly smaller than the drawings, trimming them where other figures overlapped. I liked this idea and the stripey paper went well.
This is repeating the technique from the Keith Haring work. I cut the figures out from one page of a magazine that had several individual picture on it. I angled the shapes so that the white lines were not straight on the figures. Putting them together in this way, the white lines make some interesting shapes.
I then went onto monoprinting.
Here I placed these shapes inside a plastic wallet, I then painted the wallet, following the shapes. I put all the paint on before printing because I was unsure whether I could line the figures up each time. I'm actually quite pleased with this one, I think all the figures have terrific movement.
I then tried printing each figure in turn. Again, they turned out better than I expected, some of them look as though they are pictures of all the muscles in the body. This will have been created by the paintbrush I used to put the paint on with.
This was painting up a plastic sheet and drawing into it. I used a piece of paper that I had laminated first and it makes a good surface. However, I have got too much paint on here. I am very unsure about trying to draw quickly into to the paint especially if it is supposed to represent something specific. So this first print was not successful. I used the end of a paintbrush to draw with.
I did another pull as the drawing was still in the paint and this one is slightly better. Don't think I would use this technique very often unless the drawing was abstract.
This time I inked up the plastic and placed a sheet of paper over it and drew on the back of the paper with an old pen trying not to lean on the paper. I was pleasantly suprised with this one, it came out better than I expected.
Because the drawing was still in the paint, I pulled another print.
Then I tried a third print. Not quite so successful but useable in the right place.
I then got my gelly plate out. Firstly I painted the plate and then put a piece of netting from a fruit bag over the paint. I printed the paper with this, removed it and the netting. I placed the paper cut out figures on the plate and ran some more paint over everything. I then printed the paper again. I did two prints like this.
The left hand print is a second print of the one above but on white paper. The right hand print I added more paint to the plate then added the netting and took a print.
These are my paper shapes after I removed them from the gelly plate. Unfortunately the man lost his head but the rest are going onto the cover of my sketchbook.
I wrote all the details on the back of each print and I have then stapled them together in their different techniques and they are now all in my folder.
I was a bit nervous about drawing crowds but the shapes I found made it much easier for me to manage. I quite like printing, especially onto fabric but you need to have really planned it out first to make sure that your ideas will work. Doing the prints on paper first will be a big help and I shall do that in future.